Friday, August 8, 2008

Spreading Awareness

I wore one of my advocacy t-shirts today to one of my son's soccer practice.

It says-Down syndrome isn't scary, it's just different.

The reactions I get are so varied! Most people take a quick look while in passing. I can see them read the message and absorb it. That's exciting! It's a quick message to someone that hopefully will stay lodged in their brain for life.

Some people take a look at my shirt and then always turn and look for Madison. These types never smile, in fact some of them have such sourpuss looks on their faces that I wonder if they have a toothache or something! What's wrong with them? Don't they know how special my daughter is, or really ANY child when you get right down to it?

Most people LOVE my daughter because she is super cute and sweet! She waves madly at most anyone who takes an interest in her. When she gives you one of her 500 watt smiles you cannot help but smile back. It's physically impossible to resist her.

I plan on continuing to educate people for the rest of my life--to let people know that a child with Down syndrome is just a little different than any other child. And really, they are not that different at all!

It is my hope that people see how NORMAL she is and think twice before assuming that a diagnosis of Down syndrome is bad. Yes, it is different, but most certainly not the end of the world.

If you think a diagnosis of Down syndrome is undesirable, try telling that to the hundreds of families waiting to adopt a child specifically with Down syndrome.



1 comment:

Sheila said...

Your daughter is amazing - love that beaming smile. Our Lera smiles like that instantly if you glance her way, Caelia is much more reserved and waits for you to work for the smile before she gives it to you. I look forward to reading your blog.