Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Would you cure your child of Down syndrome if you could?


Why would people be against a cure for Down syndrome?

One theory is that it's all about pride and acceptance. To want to cure something implies that the something is bad or abnormal, and people don't want to feel thay they are bad or abnormal. They want love and acceptance, and can you blame them?

Why can't we love and accept those who are different now, and if there was a cure why can't we accept that too if the person wants to be cured?

I love my daughter with all my being. I am so proud of her and think she is the most adorable thing ever. I love other people with DS, too. There is just something about them that is very special. It's like looking into the eyes of God.

On the other hand, I am also sad for my daughter in some respects. Yes, she will achieve to the best of her ability, find happiness, and have a good life. She makes people smile.

But there will also be things she will never do. She will always have to struggle. She will be the butt of jokes from cruel people. She is more vulnerable to predators. She will have trouble with speech. She has a higher chance of becoming sick from a myriad of diseases including Alzheimers and leukemia.

Despite the struggles, she WILL have a good life, she WILL inspire people, she WILL help in promoting acceptance and awareness of Down syndrome, and she most definitely WILL love and be loved for who she is.

So would I cure my daughter if I could? I think I would, with mixed feelings. I would miss some things about Down syndrome, but as for the health issues, I'd kiss them goodbye and never look back.

1 comment:

Shelli said...

I've been thinking about you ever since Palin was announced as John McCain's running mate! I love the discussion of Down syndrome that she has brought to the forefront. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the whole thing.